Monday, April 09, 2012

Can I Run?

Sports Day is round the corner and there was a selection of runners held last week for 50m event. I was really excited and before school started, I told Mami that I prayed that I would be selected. I know that Mami didn't quite want me to enter this event. She doesn't have the confidence in me running, especially when I have flat foot.

The selection of runners was based on the house colours. I am in Blue House. So, all Primary One students from Blue House ran together. To my amazement, I came in 3rd place and my name was written on a Green Card by the teacher. The 1st and 2nd place runner's names were written on a White Card.

I was all excited about it, but did not give the details to Mami. I just told her that I was certain that I would be running for Sports Day. Dadi and Mami were proud of me. Last weekend, Dadi brought me to The Gardens and bought me a new running shoe. On that day itself, Dadi brought me to practise running in the field and taught me how to tie shoe laces. Dadi was really proud of me to be able to finally tie my own shoe laces.

On Saturday evening, Mami and I were chatting, and all of a sudden, Mami asked me about how the selection of runners went. After explaining the details to Mami, she suddenly realised that I may have misunderstood the situation. She suspected that I may be the relief runner for Sports Day. She said that it doesn't make sense to have 3 runners per house. Typically, there would be 8 runners, 2 for each house. After hearing from me that my name was written in a Green Card, different from the 1st and 2nd places, she was pretty sure that I would not be running, unless if another student from Blue House was absent.

I was pretty disappointed with the news Mami shared with me. She tried to console me and told me that perhaps I would take part in the Telematch event.

Well, I hope to be able to participate in an event for Sports Day. Perhaps I would know this week. Sports Day is at the end of the month.

4 comments:

LittleLamb said...

Do allow Ben to participate in running. Serves him good.

Little Kit Boy said...

Little Ben, don't be sad. I believed that one fine day, your mami will be convinced by you.

Ben and Shaun said...

Thanks for the comments. I certainly would not disallow Ben to participate in any events. Perhaps my way of consoling him by using his leg as an excuse is not good. Thanks for the reminder.

Leona said...

With Ben's new running shoes...it will definitely make him wanna go running more often...its cool that he shows interest in sports at this age.